caligari_historical 2up

In 1898, E. Caligari & Son had its auspicious beginning when Eugene Caligari, newly arrived from Chiavenna, Sondrio, Italy, embarked upon the American dream of owning his own business. Early on, Eugene and his son, Eugene, Jr., worked hard as laborers for several paint contractors. They learned every aspect of the painting business from scraping and priming exteriors to delicate interior trim painting. Though they were not fluent in English, they learned quickly that hard work is rewarded by loyal customers. Their honesty and hard work gave them the sizeable following of customers needed to start their own company.

Soon another son, William, was born. William, alternately known as “Pebble” or Bill succeeded his father in the business by working hard and distinguishing himself during his high school career as an outstanding athlete. Young Bill learned the painting trade and continued to build a strong customer base, expanding into other related areas of home decorating. He married Patricia Dewey and took over the management of the business from his elderly father who ultimately passed away at 96 years of age.

Bill’s two sons, Jeffrey and William, Jr. representing a third generation, now own and operate the business begun over a century ago by their grandfather. Jeffrey joined the company in 1975 and William Jr. in 1989. The brothers have expanded the operation to other businesses, which are listed below.

  • E. Caligari & Son – Store, 75 Main Street, Great Barrington, MA. (413) 528-0030
  • William Caligari Interiors, 85 Main Street, Great Barrington, MA. (413) 528-3556
  • Drapery Workroom, 85 Main Street, Gt. Barrington, MA (413 528-5783
  • Caligari’s Hardware, 224 Housatonic Street, Lenox, MA. (413) 637-0488
  • Taylor Rental Center, 7 High Street, Great Barrington, MA. (413) 528-1770
  • Linen, 105 Main Street, Great Barrington, MA (413) 429-8005